Saturday, June 23, 2012

tasty table: spinach mushroom pie

I had an ambitious day and managed to cook two things today! 
I love the combination of cheese, toppings, and marinara sauce on pizza, but I wanted to 
make a somewhat healthier version. By making the crust the "topper" of the pie, 
I was able to fill the casserole dish with spinach giving me a much better vegetable to carbs ratio.

-fresh spinach (you will need a lot more than you think!)
-approx. 1 cup of part-skim ricotta cheese
-1/2 cup italian cheese blend or mozzarella shredded
-marinara sauce for dipping
For the whole wheat pizza dough:
1 1/2 cups regular whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
garlic 
1+1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil

I found this recipe at Kristin in her Kitchen and modified a little bit. 

Saute the spinach with garlic and a little olive oil. Mix in ricotta cheese. 
Transfer to a casserole dish. Saute mushrooms. Layer mushrooms on top of spinach and ricotta mixture. 
Sprinkle italian shredded cheese on the top. Roll out pizza dough and place on top.
Bake for 
at 350 degrees.
Serve hot with marinara for dipping! 
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment