Tuesday, May 15, 2012

painted planter for mother's day gift!

My mom loves to receive homemade gifts for holidays, especially Mother's Day. I was very short on time since I had only arrived home a day before! I had seen a cute DIY project on pinterest from the Positively Splendid blog. My mom loves gardening so I thought a painted planter would be a perfect gift. Mine was a little less elaborate but I still think it turned out pretty cute!

What you need
a terracotta planter or small pot (mine was pretty big $19.95 at Home Depot)
primer- I used a white outdoor primer in a spray can
paint- spray paint is much easier! 
Martha Stewart Chalkboard Paint
Masking tape/ painter's tape- I used it to make sharper edges on the chalkboard portion
Paintbrushes

I primed the planter and let it dry. It took less than 5 minutes to dry. I then sprayed the primed pot with the red glossy paint. I ended up doing 3 coats I believe. I also painted a "chalkboard" on it that my mom can write on. I used Marta Stewart Chalkboard paint. This paint took the longest to dry and needed about 2-3 coats.
the little black spots are bugs! ah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment